Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why can't we be friends?


A while ago in moho blogoland there were some posts about friendship. That got me to thinking and my thoughts have been simmering on the back burner for a little while now and I think I’m ready to serve up a helping. One common theme I’ve noticed in moho blogs and in groups I’ve been a part of is the desire by moho’s to find that one best friend “that totally gets me”. I remember feeling that as well. I wanted that one best friend that was just like me and who I could do everything with. I felt very different from other guys at school (because I wasn’t interested in the same things and was attracted to them instead of to the girls) and thought my life would be much better if I could have a BFF just like me. I’m aware, by the way, that this isn’t unique to homosexual Mormon men.

As a result, my approach with friendships became the chameleon approach. I was Julia Roberts character in the Runaway Bride. My friendships involved me trying to become the perfect fit for whoever my current friend was. I was always just along for the ride. My friend KaRyn coined the term “come along friend”. Or maybe it was Alie? The term wasn’t coined specifically for me, but I was classified as a come along friend.

Martha Beck talked about this idea in an article of hers that I read on CNN a while back. I copied the article into a word document but sadly didn’t copy down the URL. Sorry. Anyway, she had the following to say about romantic relationships, but I think what she says is also applicable to friendships or family relationships.

There's a thin line between a romantic statement like "I love you so much, I want to share my life with you until death do us part" and the lunatic-fringe anthem "I love you so much that if you try to leave me, I'll kill you."

People who say such things love others the way spiders love flies; they love to capture them, wrap them in immobilizing fetters, and drain nourishment out of them at peckish moments. This is not the kind of love you want.

The way you can tell real love from spider love is simple: Possessiveness and exploitation involve controlling the loved one, whereas true love is based on setting the beloved free to make his or her own choices.

Perhaps you are neither a spider nor a fly, but a chameleon who morphs to match the one you love. Or you may date chameleons, choosing partners who conform to your personality. Either way, you're not in a healthy relationship. In fact, you're not in a relationship at all.

If you're living by the "We are one" ideal, it's high time you found out how terrific love for two can be. Follow your heart in a direction your partner wouldn't go. Dare to explore your differences. Agree to disagree. If you're accustomed to disappearing, this will allow you to see that you can be loved as you really are. If you tend to dominate, you'll find out how interesting it is to love an actual person rather than a human mirror.

At some point I began to realize that my desire to have a best friend who was just like me was more about wanting to validate myself because I didn’t feel good about who I was. If I found a best friend just like me, then it would be ok to be me. In the meantime I would try to morph myself to try and be exactly who someone else was. This was back when I saw my uniqueness as a bad thing and not as a good thing to feel confident about. Fortunately, that has all changed.

The bad thing about how things were before it all changed though, is that I couldn’t ever really accept the love I got from others, because they weren’t loving me…I didn’t really even know who I was. I was an amorphous personality. If people said they loved me or paid me some compliment, it always just bounced right off my amorphousness.

Now, however, I’ve explored who I am and opened myself up to let others in and take a tour, even of the stuff that I swore I would always keep secret. I have a better sense of who I am and let others see it, and as a result I’m able to accept the love and compliments I get from others because I’m able and willing to recognize it in myself. I also know that these kind expressions are coming from people who know all of me, even what I considered to be the darkest parts of me. I can no longer use the excuse, “they only say nice things because they don’t know about this or that.” They know it all and yet these people are willing, even anxious, to see the good in me.

As a result, I’ve also noticed I’ve become much more able to feel the love of God, or what I identify as the love of God. It’s difficult because he’s not a tangible person that we can be in the same room with and audibly hear speak to us. I really believe it’s our more tangible earthly friendships and relationships that help define our relationship with him, so it should probably come as no surprise that as my earthly relationships have deepened and become more meaningful, so has my relationship with God.

Any post that starts with a picture of Paris and Nicole and ends with my relationship with God has to be a good one, right?

6 comments:

  1. I just gave a talk on Sunday on President Uchtdorf's talk "The Love of God", so this topic has been fresh on my mind. I think you hit the nail right on the head about, well, everything--understanding ourselves and our relationships with those around us and how that helps us to get a glimpse of the love God has for us (and then it's full circle too-helps us to love Him more). Thanks for clarifying what I've been trying to say (wish you would have written this on Saturday, geez!!!).

    p.s. that's hot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang... Thank you Jon, I needed a good jolt to my system. I am guilty of the same feelings towards friendships you started out with. I suppose its a process each of us need to walk, and sadly, I'm still on that path right now.

    Its pretty clear to me some of the recent friendships I have had I was looking for that one, and they have all faded.

    Thank you for helping me see where I am, cause I have to know where I am so I can move on.

    Thanks Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept writing and rewriting what I wanted to say, but all I really want to say is that I love you. You know that, and I'm happy that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept recognizing parts of myself in your own quest to make friends with yourself, and to have the ability to let others love you. Maybe we all have to find that out on our own.

    If I had the Stevie Wonder song, I would pull out the middle school prank-love call and play "I just called to say I love you" to you on the phone and not identify myself. :) Ahh, the days before caller ID.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I loved it when you shared on Open Mic Sunday (sorry, I can't help it, I call it that now even when I'm not saying something facetious...), and I love it even more in its fleshed out, written version. I can definitely identify. I used to be super closed off and keep everything to myself, which is a very lonely way to live. And in some ways, I guess I'm still kind of closed off... But not nearly to the same extent. And when I'm open, honest, and just authentically me, it's amazing how much easier it is to love and be loved.

    When we let ourselves be human, we can connect like humans. What a concept. :)

    And as often happens, your blog's inspiring all kinds of thoughts that are way too much for a comment. It may or may not become an entry on my own blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've thought about this the last few years. i had a romantic relationship with a great guy a few years back, and coming out of it totally realized i have a lot of chamelon tendancies. but since then i've done alot of work to see who i am and what i like, and the thing is, i like me. and i don't want to change that person for someone else anymore :)

    you just reminded me of something also, that i will blog about :) you are awesome jon. and i hope you know that. and that all your friends are lucky to have you along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete