Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Homemade Lingerie


This is the picture from an article in the August 1971 edition of the Ensign (pronounced en-ZYNE). The title of the article is “Lingerie: Feminine and Modest”. I’d copy and paste the text as well but the basic gist of the article is that you can make your own lingerie at home that is, you guessed it, both feminine AND modest. I’m sorry, but THAT’s a night gown. Not lingerie. The fact that this is an article in the Ensign is creepy. Then add that it was written by a woman who, at the time, was a member of the General Relief Society Board and it gets creepier. Don’t worry, there’s more. The girl in the picture has the same last name as the author of the article and is quite possibly her daughter??? This comes to me from my friend Mo. Here suggestion for the caption under the picture: I am smiling at this flower while I think about my homemade lingerie and [whispered:] sex.
Here's a link to the actual article, lest you think this is some kind of joke.

6 comments:

  1. oh my land! i love this! i'm so glad that i now have an excuse for feminine and modest lingerie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is so WRONG! Doesn't modesty defeat the entire purpose of lingerie? It's an oxymoron to say "modest lingerie." That reminds me that my sister's mother-in-law, at her bridal shower, gave her a white, floor-length, long-armed, high-necked, lace-edged nightgown for her wedding night. My mom and I (and my sister) tried not to laugh and be gracious. My mom and I had gotten her *real* lingerie for the same purpose. I wonder if her mother-in-law was shocked and horrified when she opened it. She, like us, tried not to react.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was at BYU, we went to DI to look for costumes for some kind of stupid group date. We found a homemade nightgown with the word "SPECTACULAR" embroidered across the chest. I kept trying to imagine why, who, where, etc., but the images kept getting worse and worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made my day. Sooo funny. Matt is on his way to the fabric store... he told me to get the sewing machine ready....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like how they highly emphasized puffed sleeves. i think i'm not even waiting till i get married. since its so feminine and modest, i can wear it anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As side note, someone over at BCC has been reading my blog.

    http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/07/13/sewing/

    They gave me a shout out at the bottom of their post.

    ReplyDelete